Here is a short list of our favorite books and articles on the
subject of customer focus and satisfaction:
- Moments of Truth, Jan Carlzon, 1987, Ballinger Publishing Company.
Carlzon not only details the essence of managing customer's "moments-of-truth",
he demonstrates vital leadership in thoughts and actions.
- At America's Service, Karl Albrecht, 1988, Dow Jones - Irwin.
Should be read with or following Carlzon's book. Excellent in introducing
good paradigms for customer focus.
- Total Customer ServiceThe Ultimate Weapon, William H.
Davidow and Bro Uttal, 1989, Harper & Row.
Excellent for a systems approach to creating a customer-focused organization.
- The Customer Comes Second and Other Secrets of Exceptional Service,
Hal F. Rosenbluth and Diane McFerrin Peters, 1992, William Morrow and Company.
An excellent resource for leaders striving to effect a cultural change in
- Putting the Service-Profit Chain to Work, James L. Heskett,
Thomas O. Jones, Gary W. Loveman, W. Earl Sasser Jr., and Leonard A
Schlesinger, Harvard Business Review, March - April 1994.
An excellent article on the factors leading to customer satisfaction.
- Improving Your Measurement of Customer Satisfaction, Terry
Vavra, 1997, ASQ Quality Press.
Among the best written and most comprehensive of all books on customer surveys.
- Is Your Company Ready for One-to-One Marketing?, Don Peppers,
Martha Rogers, and Bob Dorf, Harvard Business Review, January - February 1999.
Excellent resource article on customer-relationship management.